10 February 2010

The Ben & Ginny Soundtrack

Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent.
Victor Hugo

I always loved how sentimental Ben was. He had a way of making the littlest things special and specific to us. I've mentioned it before; he was the first guy I ever dated that chose "our song" all on his own.

I remember that day in early May (2003), so clearly.
Ben was selling pest control in Vegas. We had made plans to spend Memorial Day together. We missed each other a lot, but I was still on the fence about having a relationship with a guy I'd barely see all summer.

I was cleaning my room. He called just to tell me that something he heard, made him realize something important. He had been driving in Henderson, NV when the song, "Where are You Going" by Dave Matthews Band came on the radio. The lyrics that hit him were..."I do know one thing, is where you are, is where I belong."

He told me it was one of his favorite songs, but he wanted it to be our song. I thought it was such a sweet gesture, and immediately agreed.

For his birthday that August, I gave him a burned CD. He genuinely appreciated it. He loved certain songs I had chose, and put them on our accumulating list...

I Wish You Were Here -Incubus
I Miss You -Incubus
Everything -Lifehouse
Somewhere In Between -Lifehouse
Only One -Lifehouse
Hear You Me -Jimmy Eat World

When we were engaged he added, The Reason -Hubastank ...I had thought this song was annoying. But he would always sing it to me when it came on the radio, so I started to like it too...

All throughout our marriage, he would add to the list that he started calling, "The Soundtrack to Our Lives." He would always tell me when a song reminded him of us in some way. It was always so endearing.

Some others that got added throughout the years...

Storm -Lifehouse
100 Years -Five for Fighting
Ever The Same -Rob Thomas
Swing Life Away -Rise Against
Close Yet Far -CKY
Take Me Away (acoustic) -Lifehouse
Come Back Down -Lifehouse
Satellite -Guster
Let My Love Open the Door -Sondre Lerche
My Hands Are Shaking -Sondre Lerche
Anyone Else But You -The Moldy Peaches
You Belong to Me -Jason Wade
1,2,3,4 -Plain White Ts

And on the night of 20 Oct 2009, we sang the The Great Beyond by REM, together. We talked about how much we liked it and how it, too should be considered one of our songs...

Even now, I'll hear a new song, and know that Ben would have liked it. He would have liked it so much, that he'd tell me to add it to our list...

2 comments:

Debbie said...

You memories are beautiful! Debbie Sell

Laurie said...

I agree Ginny! And the soundtrack to your lives is such a great idea !