08 September 2010

When 'Thank You' doesn't feel like enough...


Dear Anonymous,

I don't know how to express the gratitude I feel. Tears well each time I have thought of this. For this situation, words are inadequate.

Thank you for loving Ben. Thank you for being such a good friend to Ben when he was here. Thank you for continuing to be that same friend.

Thank you for loving me, and our little family. Thank you for sparing me the expense. Thank you for affording me the time to get this done, when I could be clear-headed and emotionally ready.

Although my attempt is feeble, please know your generosity will not be forgotten. With all my heart, thank you.

Love,
Ginny




The back story:

In November I started feeling pressure (from Ben's side) to have a marker completed. I found this more than distressing. Denial was serving me well. The mere thought of seeing Ben's name in the ground was enough to elicit a panic attack.

How do you convey someone's life and love on a slab of granite??
How do you represent what they meant to those who love them?
Or the impact they left on everyone they knew?

A family friend who wishes to stay anonymous (to me especially), donated the money to have Ben's grave marker completed. They left it for me to do when I was ready.

In July, I was ready. Remember that Girls' Weekend with T. Thorpe?
The marker was finally set over his grave last week.

More thank yous'...
Thank you to T. Thorpe, for the moral support while I made the last decisions & the photos sent!
Thank you to Lizzie B, for more moral support & the leg work it took to have everything finalized.

'Thank you' really isn't enough.
I'm a lucky girl.

2 comments:

siovhan said...

Ginny, it looks great.
And that's really special of that anonymous person.

Garn said...

I appreciate your blog. It buoys me up on days where I face challenges. My wife lost her father and two brothers a year and a month ago yesterday. I know we have found their markers to be a sacred place for us. When there the kids read them, jump over them, run around them, and we just consider that they are playing with their uncles and grandfather. We also have a son buried there, so it is one big day at the park I guess. It puts a smile on my face.


Chris
awalkwithourangel.blogspot.com