02 October 2010

"I just can't believe it."

It's a phrase that I've repeated to myself, countless times throughout these last...11 months, 1 week, and 4 days.

  • In the beginning I couldn't believe Fox13, 6:00pm breaking news. Quietly I said to myself, "Ben, that is not you. You are not leaving me. You're coming home to tell me what that loser did wrong."
(Little did I know, this would be the first of many seemingly one-sided conversations.)
  • Nine days later I pretended a box was empty.
  • Two weeks in, I couldn't believe I was packing his things, and leaving a place we called home.
  • One month in, I couldn't believe I was still alive. I was so sure I'd die too... of a broken heart.
  • Two months in, I couldn't believe what a bad relocation choice I had made.
  • Six months in, I couldn't believe that people who I thought would be an unwavering fixture in my girls lives, are not.
  • Seven months in, (and the day after our 6th wedding anniversary) I couldn't believe that trusting the wrong people could lead to so much irreversible damage.
  • 10 months in, I couldn't believe he wasn't turning 31.

And right this moment, I just can't believe that October is here again.
I can't believe I will soon have survived a year without him here; especially THAT year.

BUT....
  • I can believe my grief counselor, when she tells me how well I'm doing.
  • I can believe how amazing it feels to resist that natural pull to be bitter. In so many ways, beauty compensates for the ugly.
  • I can believe that I am stronger than I ever gave myself credit for; and potentially stronger than I have yet to realize. (And my intuition is pretty freakin' amazing. :))
  • I can believe that Ben still plays an active roll in my life, and helps me in more ways than I can comprehend.
  • I can believe that I am a good mother to the two sweetest little girls on the planet.
I can believe that I can do this.

(NOTE: The next post will be more light-hearted. Pinky promise!)

2 comments:

Chris and Lesley Maloon said...

Much love to you!

Melissa Smile said...

Ginny the way you write is amazing. Thanks for remind of us what a blessing it is to who we are not give up. Even when we seem to be faced with thy impossible.