17 June 2010

Running Around in His Dreams



Ben nearly never remembered his dreams.
I didn't understand it. And he didn't understand why I could remember mine more often.

In late August '06 we had recently discovered that Jocelyn was on her way. So fearful of another miscarriage, I insisted on not telling anyone until the doctor assured us that this baby was okay.

A week later Joe and Sara invited us over for dinner. Nate and Laura were there too. We played a board game that I was finally understanding.

Ben was tired. He quit the game early and went downstairs to their TV room. An hour later my strategy failed me, so I went to check on my cute husband.

He was laying on the couch with his eyes closed.
I remember asking, "Bennies, are you asleep?"

He squinted his eyes, and outstretched his arms in my direction. I crossed the room and cuddled in next to him. We mumbled about how tired we were (and I'm certain I made mention of how sick I felt).


On the ride home, Ben was quiet. When I asked him why he told me.

Ben
: "Remember tonight when I was laying on the couch, and you came and laid next to me??"
Ginny: "Yeah...so?"
Ben: "I've dreamed that before."
Ginny: "Oh, like deja vu. So weird when that happens..."
Ben: "No. What's weird is that I had that dream years ago. I had that dream before I ever even met you. Everything was the same; the grey shirt you're wearing, the way you walked over to me, the way I held you... Ginny, I dreamed about you before I met you."

We made eye contact. Tears welled in my eyes. Immediately I blamed them on pregnancy hormones. He squeezed my hand and nothing more needed to be said.


Thank you, Benny....for the sweet memory.

2 comments:

willneliz said...

What an amazing story! I can't believe how perfect this song is. Definitely a gift from Ben. :O)

Kings said...

Wow! The more I read about Ben, the more amazing he sounds!! So lucky to have him forever!!