06 June 2010

Brown Eyes


I'm so afraid of what this weak human mind of mine will forget. The thought is terrifying.

Yesterday as that man passed me in the store for a second time, (yes, I had to see him twice--and there's so much more to this story) I was able to note the differences. It brought a certain measure of comfort. He was definitely taller than Ben. He was younger than Ben too; Ben circa 2004.

I never got a good look at that shopper's eyes, but I knew Ben's were better.
I remember the day (27 April 2003), the exact moment I fell in love with his perfect brown eyes.

When Ben found out that I'd be in Utah for a friend's wedding, he practically begged me to meet him at the airport so that we could go back to Orem and spend time together. On the ride back, it was obvious that he was trying to impress me. He was trying so hard to be funny, and clever.
I saw right through it.

At one point he said something mildly ridiculous (I wish I could remember). I looked over at him... "What?! What are you talking about??"
Ben: "Oh, you know me! I'm so full of crap that my eyes are brown!"
Me: "How brown?"

We made eye contact, and my mind was made for me.
Love.
~
When I was pregnant with Jocelyn, I often mused over who she would look like. I remember telling Ben how much I hoped that at least one of our kids would get his eyes.

She was three months old when I saw it. He was holding her on the couch, watching TV. I came over and curled up next to him. They both looked at me, and I really saw it. Their eyes were the exact same color; deep chocolate brown.
I was ecstatic.

Since October I have found myself looking into Jocelyn's eyes, just to remind myself of Ben's.

One day I will look into his perfect eyes again, knowing that I never forgot.
I cannot ever forget, and for that I am infinitely grateful.

1 comment:

Chris and Lesley Maloon said...

"Oh, you know me! I'm so full of crap that my eyes are brown!"

That made me laugh out loud!!!

:)