18 August 2010

30+1

Ben turned 30 years old last year. In sorting through things, I came across the original letter I wrote him.

He later told me that this was the nicest thing that anyone had ever done for him.


Happy Birthday, Bennys!

In celebration of you turning 30, I wanted to give you a list of 30 things that I love about you. I'm certain that I don't express them all enough.

Here they are, in a random order...

1. Thank you for being so easy to talk to. The entirety of our long-distance relationship would not have worked otherwise. When Marci teased me about marrying you, I remember telling her that I wanted to marry someone who I could talk so easily to.
2. Thank you for your confidence. It was one of the first things I noticed when we met in person.

3. Thank you for always being chivalrous. When you open doors or pull out chairs they are gestures that never go unnoticed or unappreciated.

4. Thank you for being sentimental about the little things. It means so much to me.

5. Thank you for being family oriented and for putting us first.

6. Thank you for all of the sweet thoughtful things you surprise me with to remind me how much you care (IE getting me a copy of Breaking Dawn at 5:30 am, taking me to see Twilight and being so good about it--just 2 of countless examples).

7. Thank you for giving me 2 beautiful, healthy, perfect babies. And thank you for being such a good daddy to them!

8. Thank you for always looking for ways to spend time with Jocee.

9. Thank you for being my best friend.

10. Thank you for never being judgmental or critical of others. I have always admired that about you, and strive to be the same way.

11. Thank you for not being a gossip. It seems like so many people are too caught up in the lives of others. I love that you are mainly just concerned with our little family.

12. Thank you for being such an amazing pilot. I never have to worry about you flying. It's the perfect profession for you, and I hope you always love it.

13. Thank you for being so level-headed about politics.

14. Thank you for being such a guy's guy! It's adorable.

15. Thank you for being articulate.

16. Thank you for being such a good shopper. I love that you're always able to find what you want at a third of the normal price. I never have to worry when you buy a new toy because I know you shopped around, for months in some cases, before you made a decision.

17. Thank you for being so down to earth. I have always loved that about you. That little red car named, Chewy was actually a selling point. I knew that you didn't get caught up in appearances.

18. Thank you for making me feel safe. There's always a sense of complete security when I see you walk through the door.

19. Thank you for being innovative. I think it's amazing that you can think of something and find a way to make it yourself. I've seen you do this with a lot of your different gun parts, but I know you can do it with almost anything.

20. Thank you for abiding by the boy scouts' motto. You thought of establishing food storage and 72-hour kits first. I love that you always think ahead.

21. Thank you for being so smart, in every sense of the word.

22. Thank you for having such a hands-on personality. I have always loved that about you. I'm confident that you can learn how to create or do anything if you have to use your hands
23. Thank you for being such a people person. You have a way of putting people at ease.
24. Thank you for being such a chance taker. I admire your ability to make decisions quickly.

25. Thank you for giving up caffeine. It makes me really happy that you're doing something to improve your overall health. I want you to be around as long as possible.

26. Thank you for supporting me with going back to school.

27. Thank you for all the new experiences you've given me (IE fishing, hiking, camping, shooting). You have gotten me to do things I would never choose to do myself.

28. Thank you for having such a good sense of humor. And it's especially adorable when you try to get me to laugh.

29. Thank you for your laugh. You have the best laugh ever! I can't watch funny shows or movies unless you're with me. I've tried when you're away...and it's not the same.

30. And lastly, (but definitely not least) thank you for being soo adorably attractive! (Yes, I could think of dozens of other qualities. But this one is important, too!)


Happy
Birthday, Lover! I wish we could be there to celebrate with you. My love for you has only grown over time. You possess so many other qualities that I could add to this list. I am so grateful that I get to have you as my best friend, and that our girls get to have you for their daddy. You're my favorite. I love you!!

All my love,
Baby Ginnys

And if I could add just one more item to this list....

31. Thank you for continually reminding me that your love for me (and faith in me) is pure, unwavering, and eternal. Oh, how I wish you could have turned 31 today. I keep reminding myself that this time without your physical presence will someday be remembered as a small moment. Through it all, I can only love you more. Thank you for being the very best part of my heart and soul. All my love.

6 comments:

willneliz said...

I remember this list from last year. What a great reminder of Ben through your eyes. I love you and love the addition you added. We are so blessed to know we are with people we love for eternity, no matter what happens here.

Chris and Lesley Maloon said...

Beautiful.

Clay Tycksen said...

Ginny, you're a wonderful person. Ben always spoke so respectfully and highly of you. I was thinking about him on his birthday yesterday. He is missed.

siovhan said...

you are an amazing woman.
you constantly inspire, impress, and help me keep moving forward. far more than you know.

and this is an amazing list. #31 is so tender.

MelHill 6 said...

Ginny, I love the 31 note. I remember how impressed I was previously by the first 30 things. I'm sure it was the nicest thing anyone ever wrote to him.

I was thinking, though, that perhaps Ben and grandma Still will celebrate their birthdays together as always.

Ingrid Hobbs said...

Ginny, you need to know us!! We have a company based on 831, 8 letters, 3 words, 1 meaning. I think you will understand completely. www.OneMeaningCouture.com

Warm regards,
Ingrid