30 August 2010

Wait. Where am I?

You know you've left Utah, and entered Massachusetts when...

  • After leaving for the grocery store, you feel super annoyed that you only had time to put on some tinted moisturizer and mascara. Then when you get there, you're more dressed up than half of the other moms who literally just rolled out of bed.
  • Health food stores are far and few between.
  • You spot girls walking around in frumpy clothes, carrying designer handbags. Coach does not save the outfit. Sorry.
  • You wonder why people don't abbreviate or substitute swear words anymore. Oh wait, they never did...
  • You wonder why there are reports of great whites when you're landlocked. Oh, that's right. You're not. (Okay, so that's more one my trademark blonde moments, but whatever.)
  • You totally forgot you can get fresh seafood here. But being vegan makes it a moot point.
  • You wonder when drivers got soo inconsiderate and aggressive. Oh wait, they always have been!
  • You've replaced "wicked" with words like "super" and "way." I wonder when that word will organically find it's way back into my vocabulary...

The last 10 months, 1 week & 2 days have been the most disorienting that I've ever experienced. I find it laughable at how odd of an adjustment it has been. For now, I blame widow brain.

Or maybe I've been away from MA too long. But 9 years isn't that long. Is it?? And yet, so much happened to me in those 9 years.
It feels so foreign. But my whole life still feels foreign.

I suppose part of me thought that most things would just fall into place. I thought my new normal would be easier to find. I thought I'd feel half better at the 6 month mark. I don't really know what I expected for the 1 year mark, but it's coming up too quickly. I'm no where near where I wanted to be.

No comments: