18 November 2010

...

I hate the news.... I haven't really watched any since that day. Why couldn't the media have waited just 15 minutes longer, so that the cop could tell me first??

And now when I hear of people passing on, I can't help but feel love and sorrow for the families they have left behind. How their lives are changed, and the grief they face.

I am deeply saddened by yesterday's news. Several friends notified me all at once; ...another small plane crash so close to where we used to call home, and from the same flight school Ben instructed at.

Immediately, I checked news websites to see what I could find. I was sickened to see that the families hadn't been notified yet. I felt helpless for them. I caught myself pacing like I had before, knowing that at any moment hearts would break.

I wondered what they were doing, and so hoped they didn't read what I read. I hoped they had been too busy. I hoped they didn't have to feel that same helpless panic.

My heart especially breaks for the children and spouses that these people leave behind. My thoughts and prayers are with them.

(I don't want this post to come up on a search engine. And I would like to give the families the privacy they so dearly need and deserve. But to understand more click here.)

2 comments:

Garn said...

I immediately thought of you and your family when I heard the news. Our thoughts are with you.

It is interesting how the events you experiences you have in life change you completely. Ours is a unique club I guess, and you being a spouse, even more unique. I have tried to think of how I can help these two families. How can I help them?

As I watched the news last night, and the family being interviewed it took me back to all the calls we got those days after from the media. I was designated the media dude. I still don't understand how the news can be so invasive so soon after the tragedy.

On the flip side, it was a tool to get the fund we set up for my brother-in-laws kids out there, so I guess there was some benefit.

The Hills said...

Chris, so sweet of you. I thought of your family too (and every other small plane crash I've been aware of since). You're right. It is a unique club; one that no one ever wants to be a part of.

I've tried thinking of ways to help them too. I wish I had an idea. Maybe something will come to me as their support wanes... Very sad.

And you reminded me... Ben's close friends talked to the media for me. I was so grateful to them and appreciated the things they said. I'm certain you being the "media dude" :) helped in more ways than you know.