20 May 2010

Titanium


I took his wedding ring out of the box for the first time today.
A wave of emotion overcame me...just like I knew it would.

Ben wore it constantly. He was never without it. And in those rare moments when he did take it off, a perfect tan-line was left behind.

We were married a month when it got it's first scratch. He had been working on the car. At first he was annoyed with himself. But then he looked at me and said, "So what if it gets dinged up? I like it. It just shows that I wear it all the time, and that I like being married to you."

And so for the first time, I held it in my hands and studied all the little marks; 5 years, 5 months, and 4 hours worth of wear.
Too short.

I can't help but want to hand it back to him. I want him to put it back on, so he can cover that silly tan-line. There should be more scratches, more stories, more memories.
I want it all back.

And tomorrow, he would have worn it for six years.
Six years is too short.

I want my Love back.
I want my life back.
I want it all back.

No comments: