15 May 2010

Oh, to be 18 again! (just kidding)

Lately I've been feeling nostalgic for simpler times. Whenever I think back on being 17 or 18, I always think of how fun it was. I was the picture of carefree and confident. Life was so easy and full of promise. Everything made sense.

A few weeks ago I found some of my old journals. Since then, I've read through most of them and have officially changed my mind.

This entry in particular, is a bit repulsive...

Tuesday
11/20/01

Something really weird happened today. I was running late this morning, so I didn't have time to pack a full lunch.

So...when it was lunchtime I decided to go to Dunkin' Donuts in the mall and get a cranberry muffin and a small hot chocolate. Here's where it get's weird---> When the guy behind the counter gave me my order he told me I was, "all set." I thought that I heard him wrong and went to give him the money. He wouldn't take it and told me I was, "all set." ...I said, "Okay..." and walked away really confused.

When I sat down in the break room to eat it, I realized that it wasn't hot chocolate. It was like this pumpkin pie flavored coffee thing. It was really good. I'm pretty sure it wasn't coffee.

I was completely confused about the whole thing.---If I was looking cute today then I'd just figure he was flirting and trying to be nice. But I definitely know I was not cute today. I had no makeup on at all, my hair was tied back, and I wasn't wearing cute clothes.

If he was flirting then I think he's got low standards. Because I'm really not that cute unless I put a lot of effort into it.

But, maybe I'm not as horrible looking as I think. I don't know! Today after work I was talking to my mother outside of Victoria's Secret (she was handing out samples). She said that when I left the guy selling hot tubs (in front of Victoria's) said, You have a beautiful daughter."

But I wasn't wearing makeup! I didn't spend extra time looking cute (making myself look cute). I wasn't even wearing cute clothes.

I guess I'm just one of those people who can only feel attractive if I spend two hours getting ready. I really wish I know why he gave me my order for free. What was he thinking?--Just wish I could read minds.


I'm not sure whether to laugh or cringe!

So after a long day of working retail at JCPenney, this is what had consumed my thoughts that day? Really??

And let's talk about how...eloquent I was!
How many times could I say "cute" in one entry?? (I counted 7.)
Could I have been any more repetitive or shallow or self-absorbed??
The whole composition is just awful.

And why did I not thank that kind boy??


In short:
While I am struggling in my current circumstances, I am happy.
Up to this point in my life, I like the woman that I am; much more than that carefree teen I once was.


3 comments:

the speers said...

Ginny!! That's so funny!! Of course you're gorgeous...duh! I totally laugh at my old journals...isn't it funny what consumes our thoughts? Now think of all the confidence you can instill in your beautiful girls! (PS I'd totally go back to freshman year (or senior year h.s. for 1 day...just for the carefree-ness of it all! lol!)

willneliz said...

LOL...that was kinda funny but you know..I was the same way! Sometimes I imagine going back and being who I am now. Man..I think I would have enjoyed things more..o well. We all need to learn.

CandiShack said...

Oh I totally know what you are talking about! EVERY single journal entry of mine from back then includes something about a boy I liked, yada yada, or if I was cute enough. I feel the same way though - glad to be who I am, and continue to become better. And ya, you are so beautiful, Ginny.