03 May 2009

Botany 101


On Friday afternoon, Ben brought home a tomato plant. He thought it would be a good opportunity to teach Jocelyn about how plants grow. Ha!

Ben and I have never been able to keep any plant alive, ever! What's the opposite of a green thumb? A black thumb? That sounds right! We have black thumbs!

When we were first married we bought a rose bush. It was dead within a month! We went on to buy several more rose bushes and other plants...none of which survived. We would always say that if we could keep a plant alive, we would get a dog. If we could keep a dog alive, we'd have a baby. Uhh...

ANYWAY.... I have no idea why Ben thought this would be a good idea. Jocee just barely turned two and can be pretty destructive. But I did think it was extremely cute of him. He's always looking for things he and Jocee can do together.

Jocee was very attentive. She helped Ben pat the potting soil down and water the plant. Then Ben explained that we have to leave it alone and let it grow tomatoes. Ha!


Long story, short....
Jocee likes spending time on the balcony. She usually just sets her toys up and plays quietly... Today I went to check on her after giving Sophie a bath, only to find half the potting soil all over the tile and almost every little green leaf plucked off that poor little tomato plant. I should have taken a picture, but Jocee really wanted her hands washed and I really needed to try and save that thing. So, if this plant does die.... I think I'll just blame Jocee.

2 comments:

Hill Family said...

Ha ha what a cute girl... I think her and David would get along perfectly.

The Sitton Family said...

That last picture of her on the balcony is so cute! She must be such a good mommy to all of her babies! I remember that rose bush!! Even Terisa couldn't bring it back to life! :) I gave her some of my plants and they thrived, but when she gave them back they died. :(