01 December 2009

Little Miss Articulate


One word commonly used by others to describe either Ben or me has been articulate. So it shouldn't be any surprise that we would pass this trait onto one (or both) of our kids.

Lately I have been musing over just how well-spoken Jocee is for her age. Not only does she speak in complete sentences, but she is also acutely expressive with what she chooses to say. This little girl has such a big personality.

She is especially good with asserting herself when she is angry, sad, or hurt. I find this ability particularly endearing. So many examples come to mind, but two always seem to stick out in my memory.


The first:
One day in September, Jocee rushed into the kitchen while I was in the process of cooking. She wanted to play, but I had water boiling and chicken grilling. At first I asked her to leave nicely.
Then I offered an incentive.
Then I threatened.
Then I counted to three.
Nothing.
So...I harshly took her by the arm, dragged her away from the stove, and out of the kitchen.
She began to cry, and exclaimed, "You hurt me! Be gentle, Mommy! Be gentle with, me! Be gentle with, Jocee!"

Tears immediately flooded my eyes. At that point Jocee had often heard me tell her to "be gentle with Sophie," while she would play with her. But in this situation I wasn't showing Jocee the same concern, and she knew it.
(Once dinner was done and the kitchen was safe, I hugged her, apologized, and have since resolved to be more gentle. She absolutely deserves it.)


The second:
We moved in with my in-laws on November 7th. It was hectic like most moves are. The day after, both girls had been up most of the night and were extremely fussy. Jocee has always been the more dramatic of the two, and was crying quite a bit.
After a while I impatiently said, "Jocee! Will you just be quiet?!"
Without missing a beat, she sweetly said, "No, Mommy. I'm crying. I need a cry!"

Again, a realization hit me. All throughout this process I have tried not to cry when I'm around Jocee. I've wanted her to know that we are all going to be okay. But despite my effort, I have cried in front of her...several times. Each time she has been patient with me, and has never reacted negatively (not once). On some level she understands that everyone needs to cry sometimes, and that it's completely acceptable.


I am just so honored to be Jocee's mother. At 2 1/2 years old her simple insights, and view of the world seem so poetically profound. I love that she is able to articulate herself, even in difficult situations. I love the things she comes up with everyday. I love listening to her cute little voice. I love everything about her. She is amazing!

5 comments:

Kings said...

I love it. I just can't wait to have a little one like yours!

Maryblog said...

Ginny your girls are both adorable. Those are such cute stories. I love your Thankful post as well. You are so amazing. The love you have expressed for Ben and the love you have expressed he has for you and your girls is so thick and almost tangible I can't even describe it. It is truly amazing. I get goosebumps when I hear you talk about him or your marriage. You are just like you said very articulate, people are not left confused or thinking...wait what. That is such an amazing talent. I need to apologize for not getting that crazy picture up on facebook. My parents scanner is having issues, I might just take a picture of that thing. I am sure the anticipation for a peek at those younger years is just..unreal.. Anyway, yikes what a long comment. I think about you tons! Keep writing. It makes my day! and makes me wish I could be so articulate.

The Sitton Family said...

Oh Jocee! She has such a sparkling personality! I love it! She definitely knows what she wants and how she wants to get it! It says so much about her, that her personality is so strong so young. I can't wait to see how she will take on the world as a girl, pre-teen and oh my goodness as a teen! I just love her and am so happy she is in my life too!!

Krissy said...

Ginny.... that is something I needed to hear.. Through out this whole month of Ryan being gone, I've been angry and have cried and I lose my patience when the kids get frustrated and sad..... You've given me something to think about. Love you!

CandiShack said...

Oh that is such a gift - for your daughter to be able to express herself at such a young age! What a cutie.