08 November 2009

One Year Ago Today...

Ben writes letters to the girls from time to time in journals that he bought, when each of them were first born. I always love reading what he puts in those little blank books.

He wrote the following to Sophie, on the day we brought her home.
(One year ago, today...)

11/8/2008

My Dearest Sophie,

We brought you home from the hospital today. You are perfect, and your mother and I are overjoyed to have you. You were born 3 days ago by c-section at Orem Community Hospital. 7 pounds, 9 ounces and 19 inches long. While you look very much like your sister did at birth, your mom and I immediately noticed that your voice, your cry is different. Through the whole pregnancy things have been different. From the foods your mom craved, to the way you moved. Your sister was, and is as of this writing, a kicker. You have been very calm and since your birth, very mellow. I was there at your birth, took you while the doctor stitched up your mom. I was with you the whole time. When your eyes opened, I was the first face you saw. Mine was the first finger you held. I am so happy to have you. I loved you before you were born, and that has only grown stronger these last 3 days. I am excited to be your father.

Love,
Your Dad

(Ben's signature)



7 comments:

Melody said...

Oh my. That just brought me to tears. It's amazing how journals keep you connected to loved ones. I bet your girls will cherish their dad's writings.

The Scribbles said...

what an amazing gift he left for his daughters! He must have been an amazing man. I am sorry I never met him.

Linda said...

Thats so smart that you guys wrote down your thoughts and feelings...I think I may have to start doing that too!
Such love!

Kings said...

this is amazing. i really think you have inspired me to go get a journal. Those letters will mean more to those girls than anything, as they grow up.

Maryblog said...

I have been anticipating this ever since you mentioned that you had created two posts to post at later dates. Oh my goodness. What a sweet sweet father. How amazing for him to take the initiative and decide that this was something that he wanted to do for them. I am tearing up and covered in goose bumps. Ginny, Wow. Thank you so much for posting that. What an eloquent writer as well. That is honestly so beautiful.

The Sitton Family said...

Oh tenderhearted Benny. I love that he wrote those letters to the girls. It's a sweet tangible piece to how much love he has for them.

Can't wait to see you soon.

Tina and Spencer Sitton Family said...

Oh Gin,what can I say? Benny was such a good daddy.

I can't wait to celebrate Sophie's 1st birthday!

We love you and will see you soon!