26 July 2011

On being a hypocrite...

Since I've already owned up to being one, I figured I may as well go all the way. ;)

Here's the backup story...

Before I graduated high school, I had never been west of the Mississippi, ever (unless you count moving from SLC when I was two).

Most people go to school for an education, but me? I'm not really sure what I was doing back then. So, I decided to go to school in Idaho. I'd never been to Idaho before. And all those things I heard about Idaho being boring couldn't be all true.

When we landed in SLC, I was in love. Mountains are even prettier in person, and dry heat was a new concept. My hair was doing amazing things.

Then we had to drive to Rexburg. I was totally excited. But...as we got closer and closer, the landscape became more and more desolate looking. The biggest store in town was the smallest Walmart I'd ever been to. Instead of trees, there was sage brush, everywhere. I even teared up a little when I saw my first tumbleweed.

Really, Idaho wasn't that bad. I met lots of fun people, and had fun doing the most random things. People actually jump off of bridges for fun there, and the sand dunes were like the beach minus water. Yellowstone is super close. It was good to break out of my comfort zone.

But like most out of state students, I would become nostalgic and miss familiar things. (So lame!)

I would talk up Bean Town like it was the best place ever, and at the time I genuinely believed it was. For me, Idaho never felt quite right.

Fast forward to today...

While the three of us were playing outside; drenched in bug repellent with gnats flying in our faces, as trees were covering a perfectly good sunset like this one...

It hit me.

I was such a hypocrite!

Back when I was sugar coating New England, did I ever mention this? Did I mention how gross and oppressive humidity can feel? Or how the drivers are some of the biggest DBs you'll never meet? Or how I fully agree with GQ? (Of course not!)

Because now when I feel nostalgic, I really miss things out west (minus Idaho). I miss dry heat, and open skies. I miss sandstone, and mountains. I even miss Yellowstone sometimes.


But really, I'm not saying that "there" is any better than "here" (even though sometimes I might feel that way). I am openly admitting that each place has it's perks and pitfalls.

It's funny knowing that my opinions can be so opposite, 10 years later. So while I'm feeling (extra) honest I'll eat those bitter words, too!

The end. :)


(Ahh...I feel better now ;))

xo

2 comments:

siovhan said...

I LOVE THIS! Because I felt this way, too. I couldn't wait to get to Utah for school and then I missed Boston desperately the whole time I was there (and now, too). Now I miss the mountains AND the Hahbah.

Also, I think I need to rewatch He's Just Not That Into You because when I watched it the first time I'd just ended a relationship with my heinous cheating beating boyfriend and the cheater in that movie (and his cute wife) hit too close to home.

Tauni said...

I live about 6 hours away from Yellowstone and still have not taken my kids there! I keep saying that will change each summer and each summer comes and goes and so does the time that my kids have never been to Yellowstone! I have always dreamed of living in Maine. I love back East all over. I love the West coast. I love UT. I am grateful I get to travel a little and see it all! :)